Are you tired of constantly shaving, waxing, or plucking unwanted hair? Are you a trans woman looking to try out a more permanent hair removal method? If so, then IPL hair removal might be the solution you've been looking for!
If you're a MtF trans woman looking for a way to permanently reduce the amount of hair you have to shave on your body, it might be time to give one of these at home IPL devices a try.
What Hair Colors Does IPL Work Best On? Is it Worth it?
Whether an IPL device is worth it or not depends a lot on two factors.
In the world of IPL, it's effectiveness depends greatly on skin tone, and darkness of your hair color. It's important to note that IPL works best on individuals with fair to medium skin tones and dark hair. This is mainly because the light energy needs to be absorbed by the pigment in the hair to be most effective, and it's more difficult to target hair follicles when there is less contrast between the hair and the skin. If you have light or blonde hair, IPL may not be the best option for you - and epilation, or electric razors might be your best bet for hair removal.
What is an IPL Device?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light, which is a non-invasive hair removal technique that uses pulses of light to target individual hair follicles. The light energy is absorbed by the pigment in the hair, which then heats up and damages the hair follicle, causing it to stop producing hair. IPL is an effective method of hair removal for trans women, and can be used on various parts of the body, including the face, legs, underarms, and bikini area.
Permanent Reduction in Hair?
One of the major benefits of IPL hair removal is that it is a long-term solution, meaning that, with continued use, you won't have to worry about as much hair growth for several months or even years, depending on your body and the area you're treating. Additionally, IPL is a relatively painless procedure compared to other hair removal methods, such as waxing or professional electrolysis.
Pros and Cons of IPL for Hair Removal
Here are some pros and cons of IPL hair removal:
- Long lasting results: IPL hair removal targets the hair follicle, which means that the results can last for several months or even years. This is a great solution for those who are tired of constantly shaving or waxing.
- Non-invasive technique: IPL is a non-invasive hair removal method, which means that it doesn't require any needles or incisions. This makes it a relatively painless procedure compared to other methods, such as electrolysis.
- Versatile device: IPL can be used on various parts of the body, including the face, legs, underarms, and bikini area. This makes it a versatile option for those who want to remove hair from multiple areas.
- Convenient to use: IPL devices can be purchased for at-home use, which means that you can do the treatment on your own time and in the comfort of your own home.
- Limited hair removal effectiveness: IPL works best on individuals with fair to medium skin tones and dark hair. If you have light or blonde hair, IPL may not be the best option for you.
- Can be time-consuming: IPL requires several treatments spaced a few weeks apart to achieve the desired results. This means that it can be a time-consuming process, especially if you're treating multiple areas.
- Costly device to get started: IPL devices can be expensive, especially if you opt for a high-end device. Additionally, if you decide to get professional IPL treatments, it can be even more costly.
- Risks: While IPL is a relatively safe procedure, there are still risks involved, such as burns or skin discoloration. It's important to follow the instructions carefully and to start with a low setting to avoid any adverse reactions.
Our Top Picks:
Voted best overall IPL device by Elle magazine, and our favorite IPL device on the market, the Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 is a powerhouse. It's efficient, and offers long lasting smooth results without the need of sunglasses. It's super easy to use, and is build to last up for up to 22 years of treatments!
Nood makes a great IPL device, rivalling laser hair removal. The Nood Flasher brags that it can be used anywhere that hair grows including the face. Get rid of leg, arm, armpit, and bikini, and face hair all with one device. Not extremely painful to use either.
How to Use an IPL Device
Before starting the IPL treatment, it's very important to shave the area that you want to treat. By shaving the area, you ensure that the pulsed light is focused on the hair follicle and not being wasted on hair that's above the surface of the skin. Additionally, you want to make sure to clean the area thoroughly and avoid using any lotions or creams beforehand. Using any kind of cream or lotion interferes with the effectiveness of the treatment.
When using the IPL device, it's extremely important to follow the instructions carefully. Only use as directed in the users manual or instruction booklet. The better quality IPL devices have a sensor that detects the skin tone and adjusts the intensity accordingly, but it's still important to be cautious and not overdo it.
When treating the facial area, be sure to wear protective goggles to avoid any damage to your eyes, or as specified by IPL manufacturer. Additionally, avoid treating areas with tattoos, as the light energy can cause fading or discoloration in the tattoo.
After the IPL treatment, you may experience some redness or irritation in the treated area. This is normal and should subside within a few hours. It's important to avoid sun exposure and to apply sunscreen to the treated area for several weeks after the treatment, as the skin may be more sensitive to UV rays.
Overall, IPL hair removal can be an effective and long-term solution for trans women looking to get rid of unwanted body hair. However, it's important to consider the pros and cons and to determine if it's the right option for you. If you have any concerns or questions, it's always best to consult with a dermatologist or a professional esthetician.
How Often to Use an IPL Device?
In terms of the frequency of treatments, it varies depending on the individual and the area being treated. Most people require several treatments spaced a few weeks apart to achieve the desired results. It's important to be consistent with the treatments and to not skip any sessions, as this can affect the effectiveness of the treatment.
Which IPL Device is Best for Trans Women?
Both brands make an amazing IPL device for trans women. In price, the Nood is slightly cheaper than the Braun. If you're on the fence, go with the Braun, as they are number one when it comes to hair removal devices. However, you really can't go wrong with whichever IPL device you decide on choosing.
If you are looking for other methods of hair removal, check out:
If you're looking for even more alternatives for MtF hair removal, check out our Ultimate Hair Removal Guide for Trans Women
Trans Beauty Blog is reader-supported. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We are also an Etsy associate. This post has affiliate links. We only recommend products that we truly love, fit our style, and would use in our daily lives. Thank you for your continued support.
Most Popular Shopping Picks:
1. Unclockable Tucking Tape Kit
2. Eyebrow Kit
3. Braun Silk-Epil 9
4. Trans Pride Bracelet
5. Braun Series 9 Electric Shaver
6. Tucking Compression Leggings